Tuesday 20 September 2022

STORIES OF LAND AND BELONGING

I'm going on this weekend event in Cumbria with Lewis Mehl-Madrona and his wife Barbara in October. He's a proponent of Two-Eyed Seeing, a modern Native American concept that values both traditional and modern forms of healing, without one having to criticise the other. 

 


Lewis is himself Lakota/Cherokee, and trained in the traditional ways; he is also a conventional doctor. 


 
I recommend his book Coyote Medicine, which describes his path to becoming a healer. I learnt a lot about traditional attitudes to healing from it. He also uses story as a means of healing. "Tell me the story of your cancer." And then watch the story change over the months.

 


 

I've been on a weekend previously with Lewis and Barbara, and I can recommend them. This event concerns stories of land and belonging. Notice the typo in the link that says tories instead of Stories. Lewis can be slightly disorganised, but to me that is in his favour.


1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to any thoughts you share post-conference.

    ReplyDelete