Saturday 1 September 2018

HOW HEALING HAPPENS

AS POWERFUL AS A DEAD CHICKEN
"I have studied Native American healing for more than 20 years, and some people say I am a shaman. I'm reluctant, though, to claim the honorific for myself. One Apache shaman I revered told me, "I'm about as powerful as a dead chicken." At first I thought he was joking, or being modest; then I began to see why he was slow to take credit for healing. "The patient must do 70% of the work of getting well," he said. "The Creator does 20% and I do 10, which is barely worth mentioning." Most of what a patient can do to get well, he told me, is to make the firm decision to BE well. This is where the medicine person steps in, by taking seriously a vision of the sick person as healthy, when no-one else can or does. He or she creates with a patient a shared story of a mutual spiritual quest."
From 'Coyote Medicine' by Lewis Mehl-Medrona

No comments:

Post a Comment