Wednesday 24 August 2022

BACK TO BASICS….

 I try to be honest around this Shamanism thing. It is not about any allegiance to a teacher or a book or a particular indigenous way, or about a recent tradition such as 'core' Shamanism. Shamanism is about being true to who we are as humans, in the most fundamental way possible: as beings with a body, who are part of the natural world, a natural world that is alive, inspirited. What could be more true than that? This is why I am a Shamanic guy: because it brings us back to what is most true about ourselves, a solid foundation on which to be human. It is about an experience, not an idea.


Shamanism has got a bit of a bad name because of the pretensions around it, the usual stuff of people imagining themselves to be teachers of something that they don’t really know, not on their pulses, but thinking they do. They are in a hurry to build an identity, a name, for themselves, which is exactly the wrong way to go about it. It shouldn’t be about personal ambition. It is something that needs to come towards you, not something you seek. Usually when you have quite a few years behind you. There are always plenty of people happy to put such teachers on a pedestal, and who am I to criticise, I did so myself when I was younger, and breaking free of it was an important part of my path. So maybe it is a necessary part of how things work?

When it comes to the 'Spiritworld' (an artificial, but maybe necessary, distinction from 'Thisworld') I am the first to say I have no clear idea of what it is that I am doing. In another way, I know very well what I am doing. But you have to feel and experience your way in, I can say nothing other than go there and trust it.

I get quite pissed-off with the aura of mystique that some so-called teachers create around the Spiritworld, like it's this dangerous place, and they will initiate you bit by bit, stringing it out over years, collecting their money along the way. And maybe claiming vicarious authority via some indigenous people they've been 'working' with. No, the Spiritworld is simple, yet deep, and it takes time, but your spirits will gradually take you there. 

I journey in an embodied way, and as far as I can see, it is the way that it is done in Siberia, where they dance it. It is the same territory, but in general more powerful (though not always) to our lying down and journeying method. Our 'core' way (which is quite a way from the true core, if there is one) is safe. It works for the majority, who want shamanism-as-religion. I don't want to be patronising, and maybe I am being, but damn it: there is a difference.

I don't want to say that indigenous people have the goods and we don't, which some people imply, and that is another power trip. We have the goods too, there is no doubt about that. Don't bow down to indigenous people. But to allow the spirits to course through your whole being, and to do healing work on that basis: well that requires a letting go, a freedom, on a deep level, and not many people are ready for that. It is something we move towards.

On a recent event I ran on 'Embodying the Spirits', a number of people found a demonstration of the way I work disturbing. It is not for everyone. Our Christian heritage, with its demonisation of the body, has not helped. That is why, as I said 'core' Shamanism is often the safe starting place.

As for other teachings, be it sweatlodge or pipe ceremony or ayahuasca ceremonies or vison quests or anything else, I say this: remember they are always a means to an end. Yes, approach them with respect, and understand the depth of symbolism and teachings within them. But we are not from those cultures. Our tradition-free culture has its downsides, but we also have the freedom, advisedly (once we have been at our own coal-face for a while), to be creative, to re-invent.

I am not part of the mainstream of how Shamanism works in our culture. Covid finally drove that point home to me. I am not an anti-vaxxer, I am not anti-establishment, as though being that constitutes some kind of 'insight'. No, Medicine people work with the secular leaders, not against them. They do not have the underlying attitude of mistrust and superiority towards authority that characterises the 'counter-culture' of the modern West, which I would venture to call childish. Nor are they partisan, favouring one political party over another. We try to be elders, seeing all points of view.

I find myself in the non-religious minority. I started this group (on Facebook, UK Shamanic Community), and I admin it. I love to be of service to people. I hope people feel free to express themselves here, outside of allegiance to any particular way of viewing Shamanism. I will say if I don't agree, but it will never be personal. I hope I won't come across too much as trying to define what Shamanism is and isn't. I want to be on the side of keeping it open.

I could give up on 'Shamanism'. I sometimes wonder if I should. But dammit, there is always that minority of genuine seekers who can't stand the BS any more than I can, and I will never give up on my connection with you. You are my tribe. Come and visit me in Devon, or let's talk on Zoom.

1 comment: