Sunday 6 January 2019

Why I Quit Being a Therapist -- Six Reasons by Daniel Mackler

If we do healing work of any kind, then we need to be able to talk to people, and listen to people. I think the main qualification for that is the ability to listen to ourselves, and that usually takes time and probably a certain amount of dismemberment! And here's a bit of what Daniel Mackler says:

"I think a lot of people can do exactly what psychotherapists do, and do it much much better, if they just have a gift for being able to have a comfortable, caring, respectful conversation with another person, and lots of people can do this.

I worked with tons and tons of people who had horrible traumas. I was on the front line of listening to them and feeling what they were going through along with them, empathising, also crying along with people, I was crying a lot, I cried every day. I remember a lot of therapists really didn't relate to me because they were distancing people, they kept all those therapeutic boundaries, which in my experience really don't help people very much, but they do help protect the therapist from the pain."

No comments:

Post a Comment