Wednesday 15 December 2021

AMERICAN INDIAN THOUGHT

Lewsi Mehl Madrona

Lewis Mehl Madrona, a Cherokee guy who is also a conventional doctor, introduced me to the concept of Two Eyed Seeing, where 'alternative' and conventional approaches live alongside each other, neither criticising the other. This is includes healthcare, and I think is particularly important to bear in mind at the moment, where one side is fiercely criticising the other. There is never a good outcome, as Lewis points out, when this happens.

Donald Fixico

Anyway, Lewis regularly interviews interesting people, and
here he is with a Native American Professor, one of his heroes, who lectures on American Indian Thought. (Just scroll down a bit once you are on the link.) It is fascinating. His foundational point is that modern thought tends to be linear, whereas Indian thought is more circular, it thinks in wholes and relations. And out of that comes the idea of being in relationship to, listening to and learning from, the natural world. I'm half-way through, and I am gripped, and I thought I'd put this point down before I forgot it :)

1 comment:

  1. Two-Eyed Seeing was conceived by Mi'kmaw Elder, Albert Marshall @ Eskasoni in Nova Scotia, Circa 2004. A Chair for the interdisciplinary subject was established @ U Cape Breton. Cheryl Bartlett was the first academic appointed to that Chair.

    ReplyDelete