Sunday 21 November 2021

SPIRIT ANIMAL ANCESTORS

This is where I am writing my shamanic fantasy novel. 50k words so far. It is my Medicine Wheel Room, which has the most natural light. I happen to sit in the Southeast (the red and yellow stone) - the place of the ancestors. Yeah, that's a picture of a mouse on the wall behind the computer. And that tiny black thing on the left of the red stone is a flattened roadkill frog.



 The story is about people who can shapeshift into their animal souls, but they have to live with prejudice in a society ruled by a cult of tyrannical reason. They are seen as mentally ill, and treated accordingly. The book is full of magic you can actually do. It is both way out there, yet close to experience. And it is a polemic.

Anyway, because it is about our animal helpers, and because I sit in the Southeast, I thought maybe they are also ancestors. Sure they are, I'd just never thought of them like that before. The ancestors I see as whatever it is that supports us from the past. And that is literal animals because we are animals and have been living with animals for millions of years. But also our spirit helpers, they come from somewhere deep that is not just defined by this life. Maybe they have been helping us and our people for many lifetimes. But even that is too literal: they come from somewhere outside of time, because they are our gateway to Spirit. Our literal ancestors too, are no longer in a world bounded by time.

No comments:

Post a Comment