Saturday 9 May 2020

WHERE ARE YOU ON THE MEDICINE WHEEL?

This might not make me very popular 🤣 but I have been wondering why it is that so many people in the Shamanic world are prepared to believe videos such as 'Plandemic' (a documentary recently taken down from youtube, purporting to show that behind Coronoavirus is a secret plan to control the world), whereas the average person in the street, as far as I can tell, isn't. They may even not be very polite about it.

Now you may notice that I have not made a judgment in either direction here, and as you know I never make those sorts of judgments, do I? 🤣 

So I have been pondering this, and thinking about the Medicine Wheel, and suddenly it seemed clearer. We can use systems such as these to box ourselves if we take them too literally, but if we treat it lightly, as a story, then it can serve us. 
And rather like Jung's 4 personality types, if you are strong in one element, you will often be less adept at the opposing element.



So I'd say my weakest element is, or used to be, Water or Feeling. Typical bloke. In my fifties that changed a lot, I had always been aware of a gap, so it is better than it used to be. But sometimes I leave feeling behind in my headlong rush, particularly when encountering opposition, and have to do a bit of catch-up, and sometimes some apologies, later.

So here comes a generalisation, which is that in the Shamanic world we often primarily value Fire/Spirit and Water/Feeling. And this means that we often undervalue Air/Theory and Earth/Physicality.

The world, and particularly Science, tends to be the other way round. In this respect, we are each the other's shadow, and it is important to become aware of this before we do any science-bashing.

So you can see, from this point of view, why Shamanic people might be more prepared than average to give credence to something that from the point of view of Air and Earth, doesn't add up very well, which the above documentary does not.

I was kind of despairing about this a few days ago, but with this Medicine Wheel perspective I feel happier about it. Yes, we value Feeling and Spirit, they are far too undervalued in the world and we are doing something very valuable in attempting to live from these qualities. But we often also need, by the same token, to encounter and develop Earth and Air.

As I said, I am making a generalisation which will not apply to a load of us. So where are you on the Wheel? And what do others think?

2 comments:

  1. I like this, and it makes sense to me. From this (and other) perspective (s), I am a west and north person. My natal astrology bears this out, as there is very little fire and water in my chart. Interesting take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in the southern hemisphere I would have to swap north and south. This is one of the reasons I abandoned my Druid studies (which were based on the northern hemisphere) to follow a different (and solitary) path. That doesn't diminish the medicine wheel though. I am fire and water - mercurial, but also very intellectual and introspective.

    ReplyDelete